It is hard to imagine any office that does not employ emails for passing information and sending files and documents. This method is highly efficient and simple, and consumes almost minimal resources when compared to using traditional paper documents. Getting queries answered or solving issues is now just a few clicks away, thanks to the revolution that email has brought in the office culture around the world. However, like any good thing, email does have its share of issues accompanying it. Sending an email to the wrong person, retrieving this mail from the unwanted recipient, and forgetting to include attachments, are some of the major drawbacks to employing emails regularly in the office. And even if a message has been sent, it does not mean that it has actually reached the recipient. In Microsoft Outlook, it is possible to retrieve Outlook mail back from the addressee, but this is only if the recipient has not already opened the mail.
Here are a few steps to follow if you wish to retrieve Outlook mail:
- Launch Microsoft Outlook in case you have closed the application. Click on the Mail option to go to the Outlook mailbox in case you are currently on a different feature on Outlook like calendar etc. Select the option Sent Items present on the left-hand Outlook pane on the window. Outlook will display all your sent messages, the recent ones on top and older ones at the bottom.
- Open the menu named Actions located in the menu toolbar at the top of the screen. Select Recall This Message in the appearing menu.
- From the list of recall options choose Recall This Message to retrieve the selected message from all the inboxes it was mailed to. You can replace the messages for those who have not opened the previous message by selecting Delete unread copies and replace with a new message.
- Click on the Ok button. Either you can just delete a message and Outlook will try to retrieve those messages or you can delete and replace. In the latter case, a blank message will appear for you to compose.
- Send the new message back to all persons by clicking on Send. This will initiate the process of retrieving all sent mail and sending to the replacements.
These instructions can help you retrieve mail that you wished to retrieve, but this will work only if that person has not opened the message. Check up on Outlook help for additional information on such features.