MSN is an integrated instant messaging service provider that comes free with earlier versions of Windows operating systems. Now, the Windows Live Messenger has replaced it. Even then, some users are still using the same IM service, as they are used to it; turns out, the user satisfaction levels of MSN users are pretty high.
MSN is not only an IM service; it also has an email component, with options for contact lists and calendars. MSN email account can be configured with Outlook, to access emails in a common interface. Before configuring the Outlook email set for MSN, users should know the type of the MSN email.
MSN has two types of email account- free service and an MSN ISP service. If MSN is the ISP, then it will be a POP3 account and if it is a free account, it is a non POP3 account. This article will help you in configuring your Outlook email setup for your MSN account.
Instructions for configuring Outlook email setup
Follow the below given steps to configure MSN in Outlook. The steps are:
- Open Outlook 2007, and select Account Settings from the Tools menu.
- Click New and select Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP or HTTP. Click Next.
- Enter the name, MSN e-mail address and password into the text fields provided.
- Select Manually Configure Server Settings or Additional Server Types and click Next.
- Click Internet Email, and then click Next.
- Enter the name and email address under the User Information heading.
- Fill out the server information.
- If your account is a POP3 MSN account, select POP3 from the drop-down menu.
- Enter pop3.email.msn.com in the box labeled Incoming Mail Server.
- Enter smtp.email.msn.com in the box labeled Outgoing Mail Server.
- Check the box labeled Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA).
- Select HTTP from the Account Type drop-down menu if you have a Web-based MSN account.
- Select MSN from the HTTP Service Provider drop-down menu.
- For a Web-based MSN account, uncheck the Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) box.
- Enter your MSN user name and password in the text boxes beneath Logon Information.
- Check the box that says Remember Password and click Next.
- Click Finish to complete the setup.
These steps will configure your Outlook email setup. If you have any clarification, contact the Outlook tech support team for assistance.